Monday, January 23, 2006

i thought her career was over

I have always told myself that I wouldn't be "over-bearing" mom. I've promised myself and others that I'd let Ellie explore her interests and if she wants to be a six-foot ballerina, so be it. Saturday was a rude awakening.

We went to a birthday party at "Monkey Bizness," one of those bounce house, e.coli-filled play-places. This was Ellie's first "official" birthday party not in someone's home, so it was educational for all of us. She was a bit intimidated at first (she was one of the youngest) but saw those bouncy slide things, announced "TUNNELS, MAMA!" and literally jumped right in.

Not long after she'd been jumping, she fell down and started crying. Ellie doesn't cry much from pain. In fact, there have been times when I've worried that she had some weird, no-nerve-ending disorder because she doesn't get hurt much (and believe me, she falls down and gets her fair share of bonks). Anyway, she cried and refused to stand up. When she did, she wouldn't put any weight on her right leg. My immediate thought? "NO! NOT HER KNEE! WE HAVE TOO MANY ATHLETIC EVENTS AHEAD OF US!"

I'm so ashamed of myself. Ellie has recovered but I've done a little (okay, a lot) of soul-searching since her injury and my stupid reaction. She can be a ballerina. Really. She can be an amateur knitter. I really don't care. She can be anything she wants...as long as she's healthy.

Oh, and by the way, her knee is fine.

No comments: